4/29/2004

"The Secret Service has spotted a manatee"

I know I rag on the NYT's Elisabeth Bumiller from time to time, but I did enjoy this from her. Languishing in reporter purgatory trying to cover Bush on the campaign trail, she offers a lovely little description of her time in the holding pen:

TNR's Campaign Journal We're now in a hold in the boathouse/garage/guest house of the home of Jack Donahue, the president's host, where we are looking out at Gordon Pass, which flows from the Gulf of Mexico out into the Gordon River. I have no idea what the main house looks like, but I would be perfectly happy to live with the boats. The architecture of the boat /guest house is stone and stucco, with a wooden slate roof; it's new and it looks really expensive. Donahue is the chairman and founder of Federated Investors, Inc., a Pittsburgh based investment management firm that at the end of 2003 was managing $198 billion, three-fourths of it in money market funds. He has 13 children, 84 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren. I think his house is on the Gulf -- I can't imagine it's not -- but it's hard to tell from my vantage point. My view is framed by sea grape and palms. Right now I am looking across Gordon Pass to Keewaydin Island, which is edged by mangrove trees. The water is a lovely blue-green; the Secret Service has spotted a manatee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home